Nights Starting April 9th 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the Month!
Elder Council 69, is the
result of a merger that took place on August 30, 1966 between
Chicopee Council 69 and Elder Council 927 of Chicopee Falls.
Chicopee Council 69
On March 23, 1893, twenty-seven
Catholic men of Chicopee, with the help of Springfield's Home City
Council 63, united together to form the sixty-ninth Council of the
Knights of Columbus in the United States. Cornelius J. Driscoll
served as the first Grand Knight of the Council and held meetings in
the old Forester's Hall on Springfield Street. As time progressed
and membership grew, the desire for permanent quarters proved a
reality. On August 13, 1919, the Home Association was incorporated
with John E. Granfield serving as president, and on September 1st
the Association purchased the St. Joseph's Temperance Hall at a cost
of $5,000.00. The Council meetings were later held in the Starzyk
Building in Chicopee Center until 1937 when the Council purchased
quarters on Lemuel Avenue. Council 69 remained in these quarters
until the merger with Elder Council 927.
Elder Council 927
The institution of Elder Council 927
took place on December 19, 1904. Most of the charter members were
formerly from the Chicopee Council, but with the growth of the Falls
membership in Council 69, it was felt that one should be organized
for the Falls area. Frank J. Shea was the first Grand Knight of this
Council with its headquarters secured over King's Drug Store. The
Council moved to Dunn's Block on the south side of Main Street and
again because of rapid expansion to a block on Church Street
constructed by Frank J. Shea.
Elder Council 69
From the time that Elder Council 927
was formed the two Councils carried on the ideals of Knighthood
individually until 1966 when merger committees were formed in each
Council. In June of 1967, after the successful merger of the two
Councils into Elder Council 69, the present premises were purchased.